Wednesday, September 25, 2013

canterbury tales #1


  • I still really like the depth of the characters that Chaucer used. Characterization is really important to me in a story, usually more important than the storyline itself. This is a reason most of the books I like are defined as "coming of age."
  • To me, the Monk is the most interesting character, and I like him being compared to "a fish out of water, flapping on the pier."
  • I feel like the Monk has a certain philosophy or experience to justify his consumption of meat and his wardrobe of elaborate furs. 
  • Also, I feel like it would be much easier to understand the text if we knew in-depth facts about the culture of Chaucer's time period. 
  • Chaucer describes the Friar as a cheery and happy person, always earning money and being carefree, never shedding a tear. As the description goes on, the impression is also given that the Friar is just a lonely beggar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment